Welcome. Are you pregnant? Or are you figuring out your way through new parenthood? This is the blog for you! As a mother to a 3 year old boy and 1 year old boy/girl twins, I've been there, done that. From breastfeeding to potty training. From natural labor to c-section. And from swaddling to car seats. I have advice and I'm not afraid to share it! If you have a question, just ask me!

Saturday, July 9, 2011

My Favorite Newborn Gifts/Items

So everyone wants to know what to buy for a baby shower. I can tell you not to buy baby blankets. It seems I got about 10 and used only 1 or 2. Also pacifiers. We got a ton, and none of my kids took them, so what a waste. Here is a list of what I think are the best baby gifts.

Happiest Baby on the Block - I got the DVD from our local library for births.  DH and I wanted a refresher when our twins were born.  This DVD will show you how to sooth a fussy baby.  The tricks take some practice, but they work.  The DVD is by Dr. Harvey Karp, a well known pediatrician.

The Miracle Blanket - We swaddled DS1 for 4.5 months.  DS2 for 5 months and DD for 3 months.  I have tried 3 or 4 different swaddling blankets.  This is the best one hands down.  Babies will find their way out of other types leaving parents to believe "my baby just doesn't like being swaddled."  Well, get the Miracle Blanket, and this will work wonders for your baby's sleep!  Note:  The first month I just used a regular blanket from the hospital to swaddle.  That seemed to work then best.  We used a very different method than what is taught by most nurses.  We had one nurse who showed us a different way, and it was MUCH easier.  I will try to get a video w/ a doll to show you that method.  Swaddling is something Dr. Karp says is ESSENTIAL in the first 3 months, or "the fourth trimester."


Sound Machine - We like the one we have from Brookstone.  You could also get a CD like "Infant Calm" and just play one of the sounds on repeat.  Babies are soothed by constant white noise.  But make sure it isn't too loud or right on the baby's ear.  We don't want to hurt those little eardrums!  White noise is another tip from Dr. Karp.

Triple Paste and Aquaphor - Two types of diaper rash creams.  Aquaphor is cheaper and great for a daily ointment for those little red spots that come up every now and then.  Triple Paste is THE BOMB when it comes to the bad rashes that won't go away.  If Triple Paste doesn't clear it up in a day or two, check w/ your doctor to make sure your baby doesn't have a yeast or other type of rash that would require a prescription.  Triple Paste is EXPENSIVE, but worth it.  Sometimes you can find a coupon for it on coupons.com.


The Moby Wrap - May not be the best if your baby is born in the summer months in the south, but otherwise, The Moby Wrap is a wonderful wrap to hold your baby.  It truly is hands free.  Surf the web, do laundry, but DON'T cook, while you cuddle your baby.  I would often take my shirt off and undress the baby down to their diaper and wear them like that, so we could have some "skin-to-skin" time.  DS1 often napped while I wore him.  I also found baby wearing to be a great alternative grocery shopping.  Screw putting the baby in the cart!


Ear Plugs and Sleep Mask - You're probably laughing at this, but I'm not joking!  Let's face it, if our baby is crying, we aren't sleeping.  So, when another person is on baby duty, like your husband, a grandparent, or friend, put some earplugs in, put on a sleep mask, and go take a nap.  The first time I did this was around 6pm, when DH was handling the baby.  I woke up w/ drool down my chin and my DH shaking my shoulder waking me up and telling me it was time to breastfeed the baby.  It was AWESOME.  Please DO NOT use ear plugs, if you are needing to hear the baby.

Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child - This book, written by Dr. Marc Weissbluth, has been a godsend to me and my family.  I won't talk much about it here, as I will talk about it plenty in the future.  But if you read nothing else, read the first 2 chapters during your last month or two of pregnancy.  If you follow this book from the beginning, your child will have wonderful sleep habits, and you will be well rested to be the best mommy you can be.  If you follow this book from the start, you will not have to deal with "Crying It Out."  (You may have some what I call "fussing it out")  This book is right on the money as to the sleep cycles from infancy to 6/7 years of age.  It even worked for my twins.  (I also have a copy of "Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy Twins" too.)  My DD was sleeping thru the night 1 month of age, and my DS2 was sleeping thru at 5.5 months of age, and they haven't looked back.  10-12 hours of sleep at night, and 2-3 hours of napping during the day.  The best part of keeping a good sleep schedule is that it eliminates "The Witching Hours" in the evening.  I had those w/ my first DS (before I knew about this book.) and trust me...you don't want to deal w/ The Witching Hours.  They're awful!  And it's nice to have a child wake up from a nap happy, instead of screaming...you know they're well rested.

So there are my favorite newborn items.  Hope you enjoyed the post.

No comments:

Post a Comment